Providing superior, patient-centric orthopedic care is what we do here at OrthoBethesda and OrthoTraumaBethesda. If you've experienced a musculoskeletal injury or ailment, you may be feeling nervous, not sure what your next step should be. Our staff, doctors and therapists are dedicated to evaluating any issues you may be experiencing and coming up with an individualized approach to your treatment.
Our personalized strategy to your care will put you at ease and help you get on the road to recovery as quickly as possible. Our main goal is to help our patients regain strength and mobility. We want to ease any painful symptoms you're experiencing so that you can return to living a full and pain-free life.
The OrthoBethesda team consists of highly trained, board-certified orthopedic surgeons committed to bringing the highest level of orthopedic care to patients here in Bethesda, MD, Arlington, VA, and the surrounding areas. Each of our physicians is fellowship-trained in their specialties and respected in the medical community for their expertise as outstanding providers of specialty care.
By utilizing a conservative approach to treatment as well as cutting-edge technologies, our doctors stand out from other orthopedists in their commitment to finding the right options for individual needs.
Our qualified orthopedic surgeons have the expertise you need to treat a whole range of musculoskeletal issues in the body. Our spectrum of care includes:
• Joints including knees, hips, shoulders, elbows and wrists
• Extremities of the body, such as hands and feet
• Spinal problems and back pain
• Tendon and ligament injuries
• Sports injuries
• And more
No matter your age or level of activity, we want to provide you with top-notch services to help you return to living your life the way you want to — pain-free and with full mobility.
We see patients for a variety of reasons, including:
• Athletes who have experienced injury and are in need of treatment and rehabilitation.
• Elderly patients struggling with arthritis or the effects of aging on their bones and joints.
• Patients who have experienced an unforeseen trauma that led to a trip to the emergency room, like broken bones or spinal issues.
OrthoBethesda in Arlington, VA features two centers of excellence: the Washington Joint Institute and the Washington Spine & Scoliosis Institute. For patients facing issues with their hips, knees or other joints, our Washington Joint Institute is the best fit. If you're suffering from issues with your spine or back, or if you're dealing with scoliosis, our Washington Spine & Scoliosis Institute is best equipped to help.
Here's what we offer at our Washington Joint Institute:
• Joint Pain (Arthritis) Treatment
• Joint Replacement
• Knee Surgery
• Hip Implants
• Hip Surgery
Headed by Dr. Joseph O'Brien, our Washington Spine & Scoliosis Institute also offers treatment for the following conditions:
• SI Joint Pain
• Pinched Nerves
• Neck and Arm Pain
Our goal is to make your life easier by treating any pain or discomfort you're experiencing in your musculoskeletal system. Our orthopedic experts provide surgery and orthopedic treatment for your hips, knees, and spine. When conventional rest, ice, compression and elevation (R.I.C.E.) aren't enough and your injury doesn't respond to more conservative treatments, we have orthopedic surgeons available to consult with you and carry out minimally invasive procedures.
Our orthopedic team in Arlington, VA generally recommends surgery when any of the following complications are present with an injury:
• Diminished motion that fails to respond to strength training
• Joint instability
• Conspicuous deformities
• Bone fractures
• Consistent joint swelling
When any of the above occurs, the staff at OrthoBethesda in Arlington, VA is equipped to guide you through the process and recommend the best surgical procedure for mitigating pain so you can enjoy life more fully. To learn more about how we could help, reach out to us today.
When patients come to either our Bethesda-based or Arlington-based orthopedic treatment center, they sometimes worry that we'll push a surgical treatment or another invasive measure. However, our approach toward treatment is always conservative first and foremost. Some severe cases may warrant a more targeted approach, but for most patients, we avoid starting with any treatment considered invasive.
Our patient protocol is as follows:
1. Initial evaluation: When you first come to OrthoBethesda, we'll evaluate your condition and come up with a treatment plan. This visit may entail x-rays to determine if a surgical procedure is warranted.
2. Physical therapy: If surgical intervention is not needed initially, we often prescribe physical therapy in an attempt to provide patients with improved movement, range of motion and strength to the afflicted area.
3. Therapeutic injection: After physical therapy, if there is little to no improvement, we may recommend a therapeutic injection like a cortisone steroid injection into the site. This possibility is true of such conditions as osteoarthritis.
4. Surgical solution: If your condition has still shown no improvement, the next is to discuss a surgical solution. We'll fully explain this option ahead of time to ensure we answer all your questions. Then, we'll schedule a time for your surgery.
5. Post-operative care: After your surgery, we'll ensure your recovery is progressing as it should during your post-operative evaluation. We'll x-ray the affected area at this time as well. After a predetermined amount of time, we'll schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure you're improving as you should. After that, you can expect an annual check-up or visits as needed.
Whether you've received a referral from your primary care physician or would like to visit our premier team to discuss any orthopedic issues you may be experiencing, we invite you to contact us today. Patients in Bethesda, MD, Arlington, VA, and beyond can give us a call at (301) 530-1010.