Timothy Bhattacharyya, MD
Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and a graduate of Northwestern University and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Dr. Bhattacharyya completed an orthopaedic surgery residency at Boston University/ Boston Medical Center. He then went on to complete a fellowship in orthopaedic trauma at Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA. Currently, he is the Director of Orthopaedic Trauma Services at Suburban Hospital. His areas of expertise include: fracture care, pelvis and acetabulum injuries, management of complex and non union fractures, and joint replacements. He is Head of Clinical Orthopaedic Reseach at the National Institutes of Health. He is a member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association and a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Washington University in St Louis
St. Louis, MO
Boston University Orthopaedic Residency Training Program
Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Post-Traumatic Reconstruction
- Wadgaonkar AD, Schneider EC, Bhattacharyya T. Physician tiering by health plans in Massachusetts. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Sep 15;92(12):2204-9.
- Wang Z, Bhattacharyya T. Trends in incidence of subtrochanteric fragility fractures and bisphosphonate use among the US elderly, 1996-2007. J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Mar;26(3):553-60. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.233.
- Bhattacharyya T, Koval KJ. Unipolar versus bipolar hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fractures: is there a difference? J Orthop Trauma. 2009 Jul;23(6):426-7.
- Bhattacharyya T, Freiberg AA, Mehta P, Katz JN, Ferris T. Measuring the report card: the validity of pay-for-performance metrics in orthopedic surgery. Health Aff (Millwood). 2009 Mar-Apr;28(2):526-32.
- Bhattacharyya T, Mehta P, Smith M, Pomahac B. Routine use of wound vacuum-assisted closure does not allow coverage delay for open tibia fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Apr;121(4):1263-6.
- Mortality after periprosthetic fracture of the femur. Bhattacharyya T, Chang D, Meigs JB, Estok DM 2nd, Malchau H. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Dec;89(12):2658-62.
- NIAMS Labs Facebook Post
- WTOP Osteoporosis Article
- More Support for Osteoporosis Drugs, Wall Street Journal, (Feb 2016)
- Experts streamline guidelines for treating osteoporosis, CNN (May 2017)
- Fearing Drug’s Rare Side Effects, Millions Take Their Chances With Osteoporosis, New York Times (June 2016)
- Use of osteoporosis drugs have dropped following media reports of safety concerns, Medical Express (June 2015)
- Did reports of side-effects contribute to drop in bone drug use? Reuters (July 2015)
- Bisphosphonates use drop after media reports of safety concerns, Healio (June 2015)
- Use of Fosamax, Other Bone Drugs Drop After Reports of Fractures, Lawsuits, About Lawsuits, (July 2015)
- The Importance – and Danger of TV Health News, Pacific Standard (2015)
- Following Media Reports of Safety Concerns, Use of Osteoporosis Drugs Down, Science 2.0 (June 2015)
Dr. Bhattacharyya performs surgery at Suburban Hospital.
This e-mail account is checked and responded to by Dr. Bhattacharyya’s medical assistant, Monday through Friday during normal business hours. This email WILL NOT be checked during evenings, weekends or holidays. Messages can also be sent through our Patient Portal.
This e-mail is not intended for emergencies or time-sensitive issues. Your message will typically receive a response within 48 hours. We appreciate your patience.
Please note, if you have an urgent medical issue or other urgent matter please call the main office at (301) 530-1010. An on-call doctor is available at this number during evenings, weekends and holidays.
Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your care.