Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome Rehabilitation Program
Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19, or know someone who has and is still struggling from long term side effects and residual symptoms? OrthoBethesda Therapy Services is here to assist with your recovery and return to full function. Our team of physical therapists has designed and implemented a rehabilitation program to address some of the more common long term side effects of COVID.
What are the most common features of Post-acute COVID-19 syndrome?
COVID-19 presents with a variety of symptoms with some individuals recovering within a 1-3 week period, while roughly 25-30% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms for at least three months after onset. The media has been referring to these people as “long haulers”. Physical therapy is becoming an important part of treatment for many of these symptoms. Some of the most commonly reported long term symptoms include:
- Joint pain
- Ongoing fatigue
- Lower extremity swelling
- Shortness of breath
- Confusion, cognitive fatigue and attention deficits
- Rapid heart rate
Should I receive physical therapy if I have symptoms after recovering from COVID?
If you are having trouble returning to your normal routine after recovering from COVID, speak with your primary care physician or specialist. An evaluation and clearance from a medical doctor or specialist is required to participate in physical therapy. If therapy is prescribed, we are able to address and treat deficits which may be effecting functional tasks ranging from walking up and down stairs, daily activities, recreational tasks, and work related activities. The following services may be provided for full recovery, if deemed appropriate and necessary by the physical therapist:
- Balance and falls assessment
- Return to sports assessment and evaluation
- Breathing techniques to engage all respiratory muscles and improve
- Exercises and hands on therapy to improve muscle function and range of motion
- Treatment of joint stiffness and mobility
- Aerobic exercise training
- Gait assessment to improve and normalize pattern and ensure safety with ambulation
- Education on current physical and functional level with respect to future goals and safe progression
- Strength training
- Ergonomic work positioning for ability to return to work
- Postural assessment and evaluation
- Neurological screening and treatment
Schedule Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome Rehabilitation Near You
We invite you to contact our OrthoBethesda Physical Therapy team to find out more about our Post-Acute COVID-18 Syndrome Rehabilitation program and other therapy services that we offer at our Bethesda, MD, treatment center. When you schedule your appointment, we’ll determine the best course of treatment, which could include Post-Acute COVID-19 Syndrome Rehabilitation. Call us today at (240) 482-2438 to learn more.